Here is a collection of console system analysis tools:
- wget download utility: wget <file URL>
- YaST has a comfortable command-line interface, simply type yast
- burn backups: wodim, see the examples right at the end of man wodim
- some decent vi manual
- Start Samba filesharing server with smbd -D; start ssh server with sshd
- Unison and rsync work from console, too.
- Check free disk space: df -h
Less spectacular: You want to work on a remote machine via ssh and a VNC connection works too slow for you.
- Midnight Commander (mc) is a classic console file manager with ftp capabilities.
- The fish:// protocol allows you remote ssh access in Konqueror - e.g. fish://firstname.lastname@example.org/home/avocadohead/