10/03/2015

In praise of arandr


I really like KDE's visual display settings module, but it lacks a profile saving tool. 
Last Friday I had to give a rather important presentation in an extremely time constrained setting and I had to rely on KDE kind of magically remembering the settings (side by side with the second display/projector on 1024x768) from the speaker ready room after removing the cable. (yay, open source, by the way - Windows and Mac users were fighting aspect ratio and resolution problems left and right…)
Enter arandr to the somewhat belated rescue (in the standard repos). Not quite as pretty as the KDE original, but a very capable xrandr graphical front end that has the capability of saving settings as xrandr shell scripts, e.g. my presentation mode as:
#!/bin/sh
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1024x768 --pos 1920x1080 --rotate normal --output VIRTUAL1 --off --output DP1 --off --output eDP1 --mode 1920x1080 --pos 0x1080 --rotate normal --output VGA1 --off
So next time, I'll just have a nice folder view on my desktop with the PDF right next to the shell script:

No comments: