22/10/2008

SuSE KDE 4 rant

Dragging myself kicking and screaming into the 21st century, I resolved not to ignore KDE 4 completely any more - i.e. using it for serious work and longer than 3 minutes.
First impressions: more or less useable. Compiz works OK. Plasma crashes every time I change something in the panel (restarts again immediately, though). I still have to find out how to make my widget settings permanent.
Being in a rather daring and experimental mood, I checked out Amarok 2 beta 2 (I can't wait for the final release). You will find the RPM on KDE4:UNSTABLE; however, you can't install that on openSuSE standard KDE4, as it requires KDE >= 4.1.2 and openSuSE is still banking on 4.0.4.
Hello??
KDE 4.1 has been out since July and SuSE is still shipping it from Factory only? Installing stuff from factory is just something I don't like doing, even in such tiny and insignificant cases as my desktop environment. Ironically, 4.1.x is supposed to be a major improvement to the notoriously buggy 4.0.4 (which would be the default desktop in a plain SuSE installation, btw). Well, apparently they keep 4.1.x up their sleeve till the openSuSE 11.1 release sometime in December.
Why oh why can't they do it a bit more modularly? For one, keeping people waiting half a year for an important bugfix release is not a very nice thing to do, and even when 11.1 is out, I don't want to do a complete OS update just to brush up my desktop and update my favourite audio player. (To be fair, I wouldn't put it past them to parallelly release 4.1.x for 11.0 - but still: December?)
Enough italics for today. Still disappointed.
Update: The opensuse download page displays an one-click installer for 4.1.3 stable by now. Didn't try it because all my systems run on factory for reasons mentioned above - though daWuzz had some trouble with strange dependency conflicts.

No comments: